Safety Note to Parents
Welcome to Zwinky, a free interactive online community for virtual shopping, making friends, and playing games.
We want everyone to have a safe experience in Zwinktopia. Please go through the Zwinky registration form with your child and insure that he or she provides his or her real birth date; users under 13 years old will not be permitted to use Zwinky, and those between 13 - 17 years old will receive special safety precautions.
Please read through our Internet safety tips and review them with your child. Print out these guidelines and post them next to your child's computer. Having this list handy will keep your son or daughter aware of how to conduct him or herself online as well as what actions to take if he or she encounters unacceptable behavior. And if you witness an incident in Zwinktopia that you would like to report to us, please reach us at email@example.com.
Thanks for helping us keep Zwinktopia a safe and fun place!
- NEVER EVER arrange to meet someone in person whom you only know through use of the Internet (including chat rooms)! This is not safe no matter how long or well you think you know someone!
- Don't post any information in a chat room or on a Profile Page (including through use of ZNotes) that you would not want the public to see. Anything you post in these areas can be seen by the public.
- Never post personal information in a chat room, Profile Page, or ZNote that would enable a stranger to find you or another user. That means do not post real names, mailing addresses, home addresses, email addresses, telephone or cell phone numbers, passwords, school names or addresses, favorite hangouts, or banking details.
- Pick a user name that does not contain your real name or indicate your age, school, or location. Don't pick a user name that someone can use to learn your real identity or find you in real life.
- Ignore requests from other users for information such as your age, school, or location. Don't be pressured into giving others personal information about yourself. If someone is too nosy, it's likely he or she doesn't have your best interests at heart.
- Be cautious when chatting with others online, as it is difficult to know if another person is lying or telling the truth when you're online. Remember that people aren't always who they say they are, and don't believe everything you read online. Always be on the alert for people who might hurt you.
- Don't misrepresent your age. The Zwinky.com site is for individuals who are at least 13 years of age. Don't let others think you are older or younger than you are, as it may expose you to uncomfortable or dangerous situations.
- Treat other users with respect. Don't post mean, threatening, degrading, abusive, hateful, vulgar, sexual, profane, or other bad messages in a chat room, on your Profile Page, or in a ZNote. Also, don't get involved in chat room arguments or encourage others to do so. This behavior is not only unsafe, but we may ban you from the Zwinky.com site.
- Don't accept harassment from anyone. If someone is bothering you or making you feel uncomfortable, ignore them, leave the chat room (if applicable), talk with a trusted adult, and/or notify us by using the "report abuse" link to the right of your chat field. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Avoid or leave chat rooms discussing topics that make you feel uncomfortable. Be cautious entering or remaining in chat rooms that might be associated with sex, drugs, violence, hate, illegal activities, cults, or groups that practice dangerous rituals.
- Don't access files, urls, or downloads from people you don't know or from friends, if you weren't expecting them. This may expose your computer to viruses, spyware, or more. In addition, such files, urls, or downloads may lead you to inappropriate websites.
- Let your parents know what you are doing, if you are under 18. We're sure they will appreciate it, and they can help you stay safe and better enjoy your online experience.
For more information and to explore additional resources for parents, please visit: